If you want to work on one of our projects but can’t make it to that session, you can sign up for BYO Project and let us know which one you want to make!
Sunday April 2
Get started on this great cardi for Spring into Summer! Master gauge, charts, working in the round and top down crochet sweater construction as you make this lovely cardigan that will come in handy on cool spring nights and in air conditioned spaces this summer. Made with Vanna’s Style which is available in 18 colors, or substitute LBC Superwash Merino in 26 colors. Continuing help is available in our BYO Project sessions whenever you need it.
Skill Prerequisites: Must know how to chain, sc, dc, tr, basic increases.
- Yarn: Vanna’s Style (article #867) 5 (5, 6, 7) balls in color of your choice to make size(s) S (M, L 1X).
- Hook: Crochet hook size G (4.5 mm)
- Accessories: Large eye blunt needle
Sunday April 9
Short Row Basics
Short rows are being used in more and more patterns to create graceful shaping, blocks of color, and other design features. Beginning knitters will often knit short rows by accident, but without any additional technique this will leave a hole in the fabric. This session will introduce students to the basics they’ll need to work short rows seamlessly.
Prerequisite Skills: Must know how to cast-on, knit, purl and bind off without supervision.
- Yarn: 2 colors of worsted weight yarn.
- Needles: Size US 8 (5mm) or 9 (5.5 mm) (or size you use to work worsted weight yarn.)
- Accessories: Scissors, reading glasses (if you need them)
Sunday April 23
11:00 am – 1:00 pm
Discover a new way to use a crochet hook! Broomstick Lace is a stitch pattern that creates a unique lacy texture using a crochet hook and a very large knitting needle. Originally, this stitch pattern used a broomstick handle, or wooden dowel, to create it, which is where the name comes from. Have fun exploring a different texture, great for making shawls, blankets, summer garments or adding dramatic detail to projects.
Prerequisite Skills: Must have a solid understanding of the basic stitches and the holes in a stitch and a chain.
- Yarn: Smooth, light solid color, worsted weight yarn (Wool Ease or Vanna’s Choice are recommended.)
- Hook: Crochet hook, size US J (6mm)
- Needle: The large needle for the Broomstick will be loaned for class, or bring a “Speed Stick” or other large gauge knitting needle.
Sunday May 7
Sock Knitting Basics
In this class you will knit a small sock and learn all the basic techniques you need to know to make cuff down socks! Make another and call them baby booties, or move right on to a pattern for adult sized socks. You’ll know how to figure the length of the cuff, work the heel, pick up stitches, work the gusset, decrease for the toes and close up the toe stitches seamlessley. Sock knitting is great for summer travel – one ball of sock yarn is light and small and can keep you knitting for many happy hours!
Tuition: $60/ 3 hour session
Prerequisite Skills: Must know how to cast on, knit purl and work basic increases and decreases without supervision. Some experience with double pointed needles is helpful.
- Yarn: Smooth, solid light colored worsted weight yarn (CYC 4), Wool Ease and Vanna’s Choice are recommended.
- Needles: US Size 6 (4mm) DPNs
- Accessories: Stitch markers, scissors, large eye blunt needle.
Sunday May 21
11:00 am – 1:00 pm
Tunisian crochet, also known as “afghan crochet’ uses a long crochet hook (or one with a cable attached to accommodate more stitches.) Worked in two passes, it can create a variety of surface textures, some which look like knitting, and others which appear woven.
Prerequisite Skills: Must have a solid understanding of the basic stitches and holes in a stitch, chain and chain-space.
- Yarn: Smooth, light colored worsted weight yarn (CYC 4) Vanna’s Choice and Wool Ease are recommended.
- Hook: Straight afghan hook, size US J (6mm).
- Accessories: Locking or split ring stitch marker, optional.
Classes will be cancelled and noted on this page on the preceding Friday if we do not meet our enrollment minimums.
Please note: payment is required to reserve your spot. If we’re closed, please leave a message at 201-939-0611 with your name and the name of the class you wish to sign up for, or fill out the form below and an Outlet Associate will contact you to complete the registration process. In the event a class fills up, we will honor the time stamp on your voice mail or message to determine who signed up first.